Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 45 lb beagle ate about 100-200 mg of ibuprofen about 3-4

Customer Question

Hello, my 45 lb beagle ate about 100-200 mg of ibuprofen about 3-4 hours ago, he isnt exhibiting any unusual symptoms or behaviors right now;however, I am a little worried because of what I have read online on my way back home. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I must say that I share your concern about your lad.

Ibuprofen is quite dangerous for dogs and can cause serious signs within the first 24 hours after ingestion. Now thankfully this isn't a dose that we'd expect to harm the kidneys, but we could see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) but potentially stomach ulcers as well.

Therefore, if it has been >2 hours but less than 8 hours, we are past a point where we can induce vomiting but can at least stop further absorption with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we will need to take steps to address any potential GI upset or ulcers (which often manifest as paling gums, belly pain, and black stool when a patient isn't having activated charcoal -as that can artificially darken stools) here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and give the stomach acid something else to chew on. As well, you will want to put him onto an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. These will reduce stomach acid to again reduce ulcer risks but also reduce upset from this toxicity.

Of course, if you see any of the signs I noted or he begins passing watery urine and drinking loads; then we'd need to have him seen urgently so his vet can assess his stomach, start gastroproectants, and check that the kidneys are not being damaged by this Ibuprofen.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Aurash,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Aurash Javidinejad. How is everything going?