Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog broke a bottle of Lysol floor cleaner what should I

Customer Question

My dog broke a bottle of Lysol floor cleaner what should I do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He is gagging and throwing up
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He won't eat or drink
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky and he is 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: He never got any of his shots the people I got him from never took good care of him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much do you think he ingested?

Is it the old Lysol (with Phenols listed in the ingredients) or a newer bottle?

Can he keep even a sip of water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any sores, redness or ulcers in his mouth?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey now has diarrea and the vomiting has slowed down
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is relaxing but he don't want any water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now it is worth checking the label on the bottle that has broken, since the older preparations of Lysol can cause serious liver damage. So, do make sure he hasn't had phenols, else we'd want him seen urgently. As well, since this can ulcerate the mouth, throat, and stomach; it would be ideal to make sure there are no signs of mouth changes that may warrant a check up so that gut safe pain relief, gastroprotectants +/- injectable anti-nausea treatment can be started.

Otherwise there is some supportive care you can try to reduce his nausea and appetite loss (also a nausea sign). To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Otherwise, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, we need to tread with care in this situation. If there were phenols in this Lysol, we'd want him seen urgently for IV fluids and symptomatic care. Otherwise, you can try the above to soothe his stomach. Though if he doesn't respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration and treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- the above mentioned treatments to settle his stomach and prevent any long term harm from this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My problem I have with him is he don't like dog food he eats only human food don't know how to change him to dog food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

At the moment, that isn't a problem. We need him to eat and those light diet options are likely to go over fine if he will eat people food. After this crisis is averted, then you will have to use a tough love approach while finding a food he will eat since their favoring human food tends to be a habit that needs to be broken.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B