Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 6.5 year old Boston terrier has recently lost a few

Customer Question

My 6.5 year old Boston terrier has recently lost a few pounds. His appetite is not very good and he seems to not be drinking much water. I've had his blood tested and his feces tested and the results were not abnormal. What else should I try?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** *****'s situation, I'd first note that it does sound like you have covered a lot of the common bases for causes of poor appetites for dogs this age. Still, if his poor appetite and weight loss persists despite your increasing his nutrition intake per bite, the we may need to consider having his vet look into this further.

Since he is middle aged, we may want to consider having an ultrasound performed to make sure there are no signs of diffuse tumors or compromise to his organs (ie pancreas, kidney, liver) that isn't showing up on bloods. If he has had any issues with actually eating, swallowing, or stomach discomfort; then endoscopy (where a scope is passed into the upper GI to look at what is present) may be the next step. Though in all cases, for at least the short term, you may want to speak to his vet about appetite stimulants (ie Mirtazapine) to give him that push to eat for us and regain some weight.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Laurel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Winston. How is everything going?