Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Thanks for your question. Sodium citrate in small amounts is unlikely to cause an issue, but at this large ingestion, I would definitely recommend to play it safe and get your dog to vomit these up again. This ingestion could certainly cause hypernatremia and electrolyte disturbances as it is such a large quantity ingested. Hopefully he or she ingested this within the last 30 - 60 minutes, in which case they should come up again pretty quickly. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - he will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Hopefully he or she vomits relatively quickly and most of these come up. If your dog doesn't vomit, or only a couple of tablets come up, I would recommend he or she is monitored overnight at your local vet clinic as this is such a large ingestion. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.