Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

I have 4 dogs- they got into a bottle of rimadyl (pain

Customer Question

I have 4 dogs- they got into a bottle of rimadyl (pain killer) that was left over from resent dental work. They were 100mg chewable tablets. There were 4 pills left. A total of 400mg.
What should I do? I have no clue what dog got them, or if more then one got one. They are all between 45 and 55 lbs. Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

First off, are any of the dogs taking other medications?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no, they're very healthy. Up to date on check ups

The most potential for toxicity would be with your smallest dog. If she ate all 4 tablets on her own, this would be about a 20 mg/kg ingestion. This is right at the cut-off for potentially severe gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, stomach lining ulceration). However, if there is no underlying kidney abnormality already- their kidneys should not be affected by this dose.

There are a few options here:

1. The safest thing would be to bring them into a 24 hr clinic to induce vomiting, and they will likely go home with gastroprotectant medication- this would help to decrease absorption of the medication and potential toxicity

2. Give them all a dose of antacid like pepcid to help protect stomach lining, along with a meal; monitor for signs of GI upset (vomiting, poor appetite)

If you opt to take them in to induce vomiting, time is of the essence. If it has been longer than an hour, the medication is likely to already be absorbed. I would call the ER and let them know you are on your way in.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its been over an hour- I didn't find the bottle till just before I wrote you. (so between 2 and 4 hours ago). They have since eaten their dinner. They are all still very perky and playful. How long should a worry and keep a very close eye on them? And what amount of antacid should they get? Also thank you so much, they like children.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I mean I didn't find the bottle until after they had eaten already.

OK, so too late to induce vomiting. I would give each dog a pepcid AC (famotidine) 20 mg, tonight, then every 12 hours for the next 3 days. Watch them for any abnormalities, in particular vomiting, poor appetite, lethargy, dark tarry stools.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay I can do that. thank you so much. If everything is okay in three days are they out of the woods?

If any of those symptoms occur, they will need to see their vet. I hope this has helped, please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with. Most likely, they will be fine. If all is well after a couple days- yes they should be out of the woods. I'm going to attach a link for a good article on this overdose. If you have any questions, please let me know. I am getting offline for the night but will be back tomorrow.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you!

Just wanted to check in and see how your dogs are doing?