Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have 4 pit bulls a few days ago one of my dogs had

Customer Question

Good evening I have 4 pit bulls a few days ago one of my dogs had diarrhea I gave him some pepto bismol then once he had it for 2 days then my female started having diarrhea hers lasted 3 days she those two are okay now my male is throwing up I was cleaning there kennels and saw throw up and right before that I was outside I came in and my other female was in her kennel and I smelled poop when I came inside and saw she has diarrhea now so it seems all 4 of my pits are getting sick what's going on I do keep clean water in there bowls I wash them out every time I put new water in them they do drink water and I give them icecubes if I see them not drink water HELP
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I have 4 pit bulls this past week one by is getting sick it's mainly diarrhea the first dog had it I gave him pepto he was good then my female got it diarrhea lasted 3 days I made sure she drank or gave her ice cubes today she is good now about 2 hrs ago I came inside my house and my other female had diarrhea and then I saw vomit in my other males kennel I keep their water bowls clean I give them fresh water I maje sure they are hydrated what's going on can you help me please ???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No all of them eat the same thing I did notice this week all of them was eating grass
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lightin, Diamond , jazzy and thunder
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?
Customer: Diamond and lighting just got over what ever they had my other 2 jazzy and thunder are dick thunder is throwing up and jazzy has diarrhea
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can you confirm that 2 dogs have totally recovered?

What does the diarrhea and vomit look like?

Are their gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on their bellies, does anyone have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could they have eaten something they should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
both dogs are back to themselves it seemed to last 2-3 days now my other dog has there symptoms now my son lives an hr and a half away and his dog has the same symptoms and now my daughter in Washington state said her dog has diarrhea as well its strange all three of us our dogs are sick I believe what ever it is its passed to other dogs my male pit was sick then he was okay then my female was sick she want vomiting just diarrhea but my dog sick now she started vomiting I been giving them a little water and ice cubes to keep them hydrated. It send like the flu Like humans all 3 Saugus sunrooms are the same they sleep they look larthatgeic but bounce back in a few days I will check everything with my dog that is sick now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

First, to see multiple dogs with GI signs, this tells us that we have an infectious issue (viral, bacterial, parasitic) or a shared exposure (ie toxin, food contaminate, etc). In regards ***** ***** family dogs, it could be related if the dogs or yourselves have been mixing with these dogs; but we can see vomiting/diarrhea with a range of conditions. So, your childrens' dogs may have something else.

With this all in mind, we do need to tread with care. We'd want to make sure there is no issue with the food and that they have no access to toxins. Further to this, we need to start supportive care for dogs with signs. If they can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle their stomach. To start, if neither dog hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if any of them have a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and one cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass their mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. You can even add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to the food to bulk up stools quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing all the affected dogs' upset guts.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but infectious agents and shared exposures top the list here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle these 2 dogs stomachs. Though if either cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get your vet involved. They can assess their hydration, test a stool sample, rule out fever, and start treatment with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle these dogs and get them all back to normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?