Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a working k9 that has had problems with her tail

Customer Question

I have a working k9 that has had problems with her tail leeding to neuropathy and attcking her tail. After months of care, blood work and biopsy we amputated it. She is one week post surgery and is fighting an infection. Her vets are on top of this but i wonder if she will go back to chewing the stump once the cone is off. What can i do to help prevent this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kenya. She is 7 years old and a working dog.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kenya?
Customer: I not sure when the neuropathy started and she has always be aggressive if you touch her tail and do not talk to her first. It just slowly increase in behavior till she was eating the flesh off of it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?