Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My female terrier has small red bumps and rashy skin near

Customer Question

My female bull terrier has small red bumps and rashy skin near her privates. She licks is, and now her skin is getting redder.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bull terrier's name and age?
Customer: Rosie is 5 years old, spayed, and has never had puppies
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?
Customer: She is otherwise healthy, but I think she has sensitive skin due to her white color and short hair. We do not let her get sunburned.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she on any flea prevention? Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Flea prevention, yes. Medications, no.

Okay thanks for the additional information. How long has this been going on for? A couple things you may want to rule out is either an urinary tract infection which can sometimes cause irritation around the private area. In that case a urine sample would needed to test for it and antibiotics may be needed. Another possibility could be some type of allergies that has suddenly developed. Dogs can be allergic to things in the environment or food or a combination of both. To treat allergies commonly used medications are either some type of antihistamine, a steroid, or a new medication called Apoquel

Let me know if you have any further questions