Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I think he is dehydrated. My son took s pitfall on a very

Customer Question

I think he is dehydrated. My son took his pitfall on a very big hike and on the way home he threw up 3 times and stomach convulsing. he has now had a lot of water to drink and i encouraged him to get dog pedialyte but the petstore didn't have any so he gave him some gatorade. seems to have subsided but he is now very listless.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: his stomach, while now subsided, is going in and out as if he is getting ready to throw up again. as i said, its subsided a bit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your son's Pitbull. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 2- 3 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with this Pit boy today and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. You could continue with the pedialyte or small amounts of gatorade for now, but if he can't keep these down, then yes - he will definitely be dehydrated.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Sorry - I am unable to take phone calls at this time, but please feel free to reply here.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if I can help further here.

Dr E