Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been diagnosed with Ivdd. She was in a lot of

Customer Question

Hello my dog has been diagnosed with Ivdd. She was in a lot of pain, walking slow, would not use her doggie stairs, and had changes in her personality to depression. I took her to the vet and X-rays were done and we recieved the diagnosis. My vet said to keep her on strict crate rest for one week. She is on metacam and seems to perk up after she gets her pain meds. She is still peeing and moving bowels normally. When I look up this condition online everyone seems to keep their dogs under strict crate rest 3-8 weeks without surgery. I am worried a week is not long enough so I,would like a second opinion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, one week is usually not enough for IVDD cases. Four to eight weeks tends to be more standard.

Therefore, I would assume your vet intended for you to do so for a week with a possible recheck or phone in update afterwards. This would be reasonable since they would be able to confirm if more time was needed (as we suspect it) will be and how much Belle needs specifically. As well, if she is still very sore, you may also want to speak to your vet about further pain relief (ie Gabapentin, Tramadol) and possible use of steroids if the IVDD isn't settling with the Metacam alone.

Please take care,

Dr .B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B