Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our 11 yr old labradoodle seems to maybe have an abscess,

Customer Question

Hello, our 11 yr old labradoodle seems to maybe have an abscess, about the size of a marble, on his outer back haunch. He can reach to lick it. I gently squeezed it and whitish, with some black mixed in, thick gunk came out. It's not like the usual gooey y pus I've seen, it's thicker, almost crisco-like. I poured hydrgen peroxide on it and gently wiped it but didn't put antibiotic ointment on it since he keeps licking it. Being an older dog, he does have several lipomas in various locations. Could this be a lipoma that somehow got pierced (he runs in the woods and there are brambles, etc)?
We are on vavcation on an island in the middle of a lake and the nearest regular vet is at least 2 hrs away and it's a weekend, of course. An emergency vet is even further away. Can we wait until Monday to take him? He doesn't have a fever and is eating and acting fine. He doesn't seem in much pain when I squeeze it.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I believe that you're describing a ruptured epidermoid cyst which fills with a thick sebaceous (oily) exudate - often odiferous. These aren't dangerous and can wait until Monday to be attended to. They need to be surgically excised, however, once they rupture lest they continue to heal, rupture, heal, etc. Keeping it clean with soap and water will suffice. O.D. can be allowed to lick it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about O.D.. How is everything going?