Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I'm not sure if my dog got into this apparent rat poison,

Customer Question

I'm not sure if my dog got into this apparent rat poison, but earlier today I was walking him and I stopped to talk to a neighbor, I looked down and he was getting into to it. There was no trace of it in his mouth and I washed his mouth and face right away. I made him drink water and such, but he's so small I'm afraid he might be affected due to his size
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you know what kind he may have gotten into?

How many hours ago was that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 3 hours ago and unfortunately the store that has recently been administering this to the side walk (which I just found out) is closed on Saturdays
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now considering the time frame, we'd be most wary of this being a slow acting rat bait that causes clotting issues. The other family of rat poisons tends to cause neurological signs and we'd expect to see them already if ingested. Therefore, we'd assume the former here but need to tread with care.

Now as I noted it is slower acting, but we need to act fast. If it has been that long already, we do have the risk of some absorption. So, we'd want to reduce any further absorption but also will need to have the local vet start treatment (Vitamin K1) as soon as we can get him seen. That way we can keep him on that to prevent issues with clotting over the next few weeks and get him through this suspect poisoning.

Otherwise, in the meantime, to reduce absorption of what is left in the stomach, you can consider treated with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Of course, any issues getting this or treating at home and we'd want him seen by the local vet (or ER vet) so that they can start this and the Vitamin K to head off any clotting issues and bleeding in the weeks to come.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, so can I get him to throw up and then to the charcoal?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Can you see my post above? If not, let me know+ I will repost it for you.

Otherwise, as I noted above we are too late to induce vomiting. We need to use the activated charcoal to block further absorption with a view to having your wee one seen for Vitamin K treatment to counter what has already been absorbed and avoid any harm.

Dr .B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can read your message. When I went out to buy the charcoal, my boyfriend induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide before I returned. I just didn't know if it was safe to do the charcoal considering that.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ah, I see.

Well, in that case, we can try the charcoal; but there is a risk of his vomiting with that peroxide in the stomach. So, if he does, we'd have to repeat the charcoal in a few hours after he has settled (since it cannot be overdosed).

Dr. B

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for your advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello!Elliot is doing good! Only for a couple of hours was he looking like he had some symptoms but that was on Saturday. He definitely loved all the extra attention he was getting (compared to our other dog) so as far as he's concerned, this might have been the best weekend of his life ;-)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for all your help and for the follow-up. Your advice was instrumental in both Elliot's health and my mental state. Thanks again.
-Erin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again Erin,

I am glad to hear that I could give you peace of mind and that all is well with Elliot. :D

Have a great day & thank you for the wee update,

Dr. B

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge for this). Thank you for your feedback!: )