Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a bladder infection. She is 60 pounds. I have

Customer Question

My dog has a bladder infection. She is 60 pounds. I have both amoxicillin and amox/clav that were prescribed to me by my doctor. Is it safe to give one of those to her. 6.25mg per pound every 12 hours for 5 days correct? Is one better than the other?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate is a better broad spectrum antibacterial. It's dosed at 6.25 mg/lb twice daily for 10-14 days of the amoxicillin component of that antibiotic. The urine is then checked by urinalysis or bacterial culture and sensitivity two days after the course of antibiotic is completed to see if the urinary tract has been sterilized. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

The drugs in the human amoxicillin/clavulanate are the same as in the dog amoxicillin/clavulate. The ratio of the two drugs varies, however; hence, the need to dose as per the amoxicillin component. It can be given with or without food, crushed or not.

(I marked your new post as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.)