Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

I gave my 83 pound australian shepherd an aleve thursday

Customer Question

i gave my 83 pound australian shepherd an aleve thursday night twice yesterday and again this morning. he threw up this morning and is having a little diarrhea. he is drinking but only ate a little and then he threw up the one time. he is alert and wants to go outside
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake he will be 6 in October
JA: How old is Jake?
Customer: 5 and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: he has a bad hip and is overweight
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is an Emergency! And banfield at Petsmart said I need to go to an Emergency room but I nee to confirm as he seem pretty alert and is not vomiting
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

I am sorry I cannot accept phone calls, but can chat with you here via text. Is that OK?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you typing?

Aleve contains naproxen, which can be toxic to dogs. It can certainly cause the stomach upset you are seeing, and can also affect the kidneys as well. My recommendation would also be to take him somewhere where they can check his vital signs, and check bloodwork to see if his kidneys are affected. If kidneys are affected- they will want to hospitalize for IV fluids. If kidneys OK, they may treat as outpatient with gastroprotectant medications.

This could be done at a non-emergency type facility if they have an opening today, if you cannot find an opening somewhere for him, he may have to go to an ER facility. The ER may be your best bet- in case his kidneys are affected, they will be able to provide overnight monitoring if he needs to be hospitalized.

I hope this has helped. Do you have any other questions for me now?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!