Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a Red Bone Dog that came to my house one day that

Customer Question

I have a Red Bone Dog that came to my house one day that appeared she had not been eating. My two neighbors and I started feeding her and she started gaining her weight back. Two days ago she came home and by what I have read it appeared she had been poisoned. Another neighbor who had a small inside dogs made the statement she didn't need to be at his house. The first signs were weakness, painting, breathing hard with her tongue out, shunning, eyes were matting over, and would eat very little. Late last night the same symptoms were worse. She can't walk very far and she usually rambles around at night but stayed in close ranged panting leavily .and shunning and doesn't want you to leave her side ....and will not eat but was carrying a piece of sausage around in her mouth and tried to dig go hide, it was dark so I have not located the sausage. The other two neighbors arc gone so I know the sausage did not come from them. The vet I always used when we had a cannot be reached.i have peroxide and turkey injecter I just bought to have on hand. What should we do to at this point? Thank you in advance for your help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

It is too late for inducing vomiting. At this point in time she needs to be seen by a Vet for supportive care. Vomiting with poisoning has a 2 hour window where we can do it. I suggest start some fluids. You can us low salt chicken broth mixed with Pedialyte and water to give. Please give slowly by making a pocket on the side of the mouth. You can also rub some Karo or Maple Pancake syrup on the gums to help balance glucose levels. Please to help with any nausea give 1 10 mg Pepsid AC.

For feeding try a bland Diet of (1) part skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice and see if she will eat that. She really needs to be seen hands on asap for examination and treatment, but these are some measures you can take at home to help. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tami,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?

Jav917