Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Ate 10 mg Nortriptyline capsule, Rudy age 3, no,

Customer Question

ate 10 mg Nortriptyline capsule
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rudy age 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rudy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Rudy. How heavy is she please? Did she only eat one Nortriptyline capsule and how long ago?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He weighs 20 pounds. He ate the pill 20 minutes ago. We gave him hydrogen peroxide. He vomited. No sign of pill.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience and sorry I can't currently take calls. Good on you for trying the peroxide, and it would be worth trying that one more time to see if the capsule comes up - don't try it more than twice however.

There isn't a lot of information on nortryptiline in dogs, however there is one study looking at the safety of the drug in dogs. Rudy's ingestion equates to around just 0.9mg per kg of body weight. A study on this drug in dogs found that they were able to tolerate doses up to 20mg/kg of Nortriptyline without any ill effects over the period of an entire year. Given your girl had only a small fraction of that amount, we wouldn't expect any consequence from this ingestion tonight. For peace of mind, keep an eye on her over the next couple of hours if she doesn't bring the capsule up after one more attempt with the peroxide. As above, we wouldn't expect any symptoms here, but if her behavior alters, do get her checked over by your local vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way).

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.