Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

5 month old puppy has had diarrhea days. Now is leaking- no

Customer Question

5 month old puppy has had diarrhea for 2 days. Now is leaking- no blood he is still eating and drinking. Did give him a cow bone from a chuck roast Monday the 20th. Could this cause this problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Roscoe. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for your boy's diarrhea over the last couple of days and we have to consider everything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to intestinal worms (hopefully he is up to date with deworming treatments), to intestinal inflammation due to the roast cow bone you gave him a few days back. Roasted bones commonly splinter when they are chewed and can these cause inflammation of the bowel if they scrape the intestinal wall on the way through. It is good to hear he hasn't had any vomiting, as these bones can also become lodged in the intestines on their way through.

For now, you best to start your boy on a bland diet for a couple of days. For this, cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is the best way to go. You can start that from the morning and feed it for the next 3 - 4 days. If he isn't up to date with deworming treatments, make sure you treat him in the next day or two as well.

If he isn't producing normal feces by Monday or Tuesday, then you are best to get him and a fresh fecal sample along to your local vet. Here they can carry out a full physical exam and send his feces away for a full fecal panel to rule out an infectious cause. Best of luck with your boy and hopefully he improves in the next few days. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.