Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I think my dog has yeast in s nail bed of 1 or 2 nails. How

Customer Question

I think my dog has yeast in his nail bed of 1 or 2 nails. How do I clear it up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  drgdvm replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, would you mind please describing in more detail what you're seeing in Artir's nail beds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About a week ago, 2 of the nails were bleeding and that has stopped and I haven't seen blood since. One seems to be clearly up but the other seems to have black at the base of the nail and red and maybe sores between the nails. Just on the front paws. Not all are effected. He doesn't seem to be in lots of pain. Still eating and playing. Licking paws more then usual and they have now turned a brown color.We recently moved and he is now in a different backyard that has grass. The backyard before had pin straw.
I attached 2 photos
Expert:  drgdvm replied 4 months ago.

Does your backyard have grass that produce foxtails? The small sore that I am seeing in the photographs looks very suspicious for a foxtail that might have embedded itself in Artir's paw. Foxtails are very sharp, and are known to embed themselves in the paws, noses and ears of many of our companion animals that go outdoors. Poor Artir, I would suggest that you take him to your veterinarian for possible foxtail removal(s). Your veterinarian will need to probe the area, possibly under sedation, then flush it thoroughly, and send home treatments like antibiotics and pain medications. The reason Artir's paws are turning brown is because he is licking them repeatedly, in an attempt to remove the suspected foxtails in the only way he can. Good luck, and I hope Artir's paws get back to normal soon after being treated by your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think there are foxtails in the yard but I will check. If there isn't do you think something else may be embedded and it's not fungal?