Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have an elderly lab/mastiff. He has had bad reactions to

Customer Question

I have an elderly lab/mastiff. He has had bad reactions to various dog foods and worse to flee bites. He will scratch himself into a frenzy. 3 days ago his scratching was usually bad to the point we were putting wound cream on his hind legs. We noticed a dark blotchy rash under his inside legs and all over his belly. We noticed blood on our baseboards and floor from what we thought were his scratching wounds. Tonight we see the pupil area of his eye is filled with blood (not the white area) and the blood we are finding is coming from his saliva. He is whinning and in pain and we are 3 hours from any open clinic but can see a vet at 8am tomorrow. any ideas of what we can do in the meantime or what this might be? He is also acting like his hips are thrown out which has happened several times before but this time seems worse even to the point he just dragged his back legs to his bed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Chico. I'm going to be very, very honest here and say that this situation with him has me extremely concerned. He most likely is an extremely critical case as he's showing all the signs of bleeding internally. The blood in the inside of the eye is called hyphema. That being present along with blood in his saliva and the blotches on his skin (most likely signs of hemorrhage under the skin) all indicate that he's not having normal ability to clot his blood. The weakness he's having with dragging his back legs into bed could be due to anemia or physically bleeding into the spinal cord and causing dysfunction there. All this could be due to a coagulation issue or a platelet issue. Either one, there is nothing you can do at home. He needs immediate veterinary care to give him a chance to get through this. He can't wait till 8 am.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
THis is horrible. Can you tell me what could have caused this? We had dinner guests 4 nights ago and our guests found that one of our dogs had gotten into the trash. there were sharp pork bones from a cookout. we never ever give them bones of any kind but we were worried but its been 4 days since then?

The only thing that can be an external cause of all this would be if he got into some rat poison that caused him to have a coagulation disorder. The vitamin K antagonist rat poisons will typically show with bleeding issues. Otherwise, it could be his own immune system turning on itself and causing low platelets which then cause bleeding.