Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She has rectal bleeding and taking prednisone. Boxer and lab

Customer Question

She has rectal bleeding and taking prednisone.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Boxer and lab mix 12 y/o
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Boxer?
Customer: No, she had blood test today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  drgdvm replied 5 months ago.

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing? Does she have bloody diarrhea? Or does she have a wound near her anus that appears to be bleeding? In either case, I would suggest taking her in to your veterinarian for a physical exam. If the rectal bleeding is profuse, I would not wait until the morning to have her seen.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can that be a prednisone side effect? I wail call my Vets office tomorrow.
Expert:  drgdvm replied 5 months ago.

I have some questions for you:

1. What did your veterinarian prescribe the prednisone for specifically?

2. When was the prednisone first administered?

3. When did the "rectal bleeding" begin, in relation to the prednisone administration?

4. How much does your dog weigh, and what dose of prednisone is your dog being given at this time?

5. Can you describe the rectal bleeding you're seeing in more detail? In other words, is it frank blood oozing from her anus, are you seeing small blood tinges mixed with soft stool, or are you seeing what would best be described as "raspberry jam" coming out when she defecates?

At high doses, prednisone can cause gastrointestinal disturbances, including GI ulceration, which could result in bloody vomit/diarrhea. If your dog began having bloody diarrhea after receiving her first dose of prednisone, there is certainly concern that the two events are linked. However, bloody diarrhea could also occur secondary to dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasitism, pancreatitis and a condition called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). In all cases, I strongly recommend you take your dog to your veterinarian tomorrow.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1.) She was licking her tail, hot spot 2.) last Tuesday 3.) today I notice the blood 4.) she's 67 lbs, 20 mg of prednisone 2x for a week then it gets lower 5.) not oozing just when u wipe her you'll see blood.