Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

My dog has very red and moisture between s toes. Blisters

Customer Question

My dog has very red and moisture between his toes. Blisters are beginning to form,actually it looks like bits.But I don't think they are. Help please.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: I just told you. He has alot of redness and moisture between his toes and pusie? Bumps.I have been using Neosporin and peroxide to treat him, not working.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: I don,t think so.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 6 yrsold and a rescue. He is Australian cattle and Rottweiler.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Doogie's troubles. Redness and moisture between the toes are usually caused by an allergy or irritation that the dog then licks and scratches and can lead to an infection.

The best treatment is to try to soak in warm water and Epsom salts. Place in a shallow dish and have Doogie stand or sit with his paws in the dish. Ten minutes a couple times a day, if he'll tolerate it, will be fine.

Epsom salt helps to draw out the swelling and redness and reduce the itchiness so that the dog will stop licking and causing more irritation.

You can then apply astringent or witch hazel between the toes. Both of these are drying agents that can also help reduce the itchiness and decrease the likelihood of an infection.

If you think it could be due to an allergy, you can try Benedryl at a dose of 2-3 tablets per 60lbs every 6-8 hours. The higher dose may cause some sedation, so it is best to start out at the lower dose and increase slowly if needed. The Benedryl will also help reduce the irritation.

You can still apply the Neosporin once the astringent or witch hazel has dried. These can be applied 2-3 times per day. Stop with the peroxide as repeated use can actually cause irritation.

If Doogie's feet don't show improvement, or if they get worse, start having a foul odor or become sore, you should take him to a vet for prescription products and further diagnostics.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?