Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 1/2 year old Pug, neutered male. s Vet is

Customer Question

I have a 14 1/2 year old Pug, neutered male. His Vet is recommending changing his diet, as some levels on blood panel are a little low (albumin & a few others. Kidney function good). She did the tests as well-dog check up. My Question: he's been eating Purina Pro Plan small breed kibbles since I got him at 4 months old. Purina makes a dry senior small breed food "Bright Mind". Do you have info. Pro or con about gradually changing to this? Note: he is not overweight, has never had people food. Over the years, he's had 4 Stage 1 Mast Cell Tumors, all successfully removed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I would be quite reluctant to change a diet that Willy has done nicely on for over 14 years. A senior diet is likely to be more appropriate if only because it contains a higher percentage of protein which is indicated in our senior pets but to be more accurate for you I'd like to see a copy of all of Willy's test results. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Willy's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His Vet did say his protein levels were a bit low, esp. Albumin. Her thought is to lower carbohydrates and give a slight protein boost which senior dog foods apparently provide.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm unsure if you're still online with me. Please verify.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm particularly interested in why he's hypoalbuminemic. This arises when a poorly functioning liver can't produce enough albumin or albumin is lost through the urine or bowels. It isn't going to occur due to a protein-deficient diet except in cases of starvation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, thank you. She referred in detail to organs that may be affected, including liver. I had a Norwich Terrier with severe IBD, but Willy is no where in that category. Therefore, I feel your answer did not provide information I can use. Another Vet via this website will likely also not have a different answer without test results. I have just have my iPhone for online activity. Limitations of all of above preclude my desire to use this site further for today's question. Therefore, I do not feel services were provided and will not pay fee. But thank you.