jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

My dog has always been very friendly and when she sees me

Customer Question

My dog has always been very friendly and when she sees me she always starts jumping everywhere and licks me like crazy. Lately she has been hiding under the bed all the time and when I take her out shes shaking panting and crying. I can't figure out what is wrong with her. Help please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only thing that I find that can be wrong with her due with her abdomen changing and her symptoms, is that she might be pregnant but one male dog I have is neutered and the other is 15 years old in human years so he might be too old.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How old is your girl?

Did the older dog mount her that you know of?

How long ago was she in heat?

Is her abdomen bloated like pregnancy?

Any mammory increase?

Any discharge from the vulva?

Is she digging at the area under the bed?

Any odor to the area around her vulva?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure how old she is because she is a rescue. The older dog use to mount her before im not sure about now. She was in heat i'd say about two weeks ago. Her abdomen is bloated like pregnancy. No mammory increase. No discharge. She does dig at a certain area under the bed. And no odor that I have noticed.

If she was just in heat about 2 weeks ago, you shouldn't see any abdominal swelling yet from pregnancy. You usually do not see any weight gain from pregnancy until about 4 weeks. What I am worried about is pyometra.

Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

So what might have seemed like a heat cycle might be the start of pyometra (uterine infection). Her behavior does sound more like a dog who is ill rather than a dog that is pregnant. I urge you to have her seen as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 3 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.