Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog Tasha is a black lab/ chow mix. She has discharge

Customer Question

My dog Tasha is a black lab/ chow mix. She has discharge from her eyes. My vet gave drops and said originally that it is an allergy. Lately it has just gotten worse and she is starting to rub her eyes with her paws. She now has different drops and a gel . The doctor said it is dry eye. She did a measurement and the one eye measured a 6 and the other was 4. She said it is supposed to be 20.
Tasha no has had the medications (gel- 4x/day; drops 2-2x/day) and it looks like it is getting worse. Doc is gone for a few days till next week. I am worried. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tasha. Can you tell me, please, which medications are being administered? In general, if you're seeing worsening in spite of the correct medications being administered, eyes need to be rechecked at your earliest convenience. Another vet should be considered at this time. Dogs with dry eyes are at significant risk for secondary infections and corneal ulceration.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Hi Carlette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tasha. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went to see another Vet who gave some different drops. Thank you.

Thank you for the update.