Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has sensitive skin, ears included as well as a

Customer Question

My dog has sensitive skin, ears included as well as a sensitive stomach...What is the best food for him? I tried a good grain free product but that was too strong for him..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Laren, if you're concerned that Showtime suffers from a food intolerance, this is best addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Showtime's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after my patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please note that a grain-free diet isn't necessarily hypoallergenic for Showtime. Similarly, chicken should be avoided because the most common offending food allergens in dogs are beef, chicken, corn, wheat, eggs, rice, and soy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.