Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog is having problems eating. It becomes really slimy

Customer Question

My dog is having problems eating. It becomes really slimy and food accumulates in gum area, falls out of her mouth and overall its a huge mess. she is 12 year old Yorkie. Lots of teeth missing. always had bad teeth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: She's is always hungry but thats not new. She has stomach issues. Every 2 or 3 days she has vomiting and or diarrhea or both. lots of gas but not many gastro infections. unknown why this happens and so often.
JA: Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page where you can book your 1:1 with the Veterinarian. I'll share everything we've discussed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When was the last time that Stella had a professional dental cleaning with dental extractions?
2) When was the last time that Stella had blood work performed?
3) What food is she eating? Hard or dry?
4) Is she permitted to eat human food, as well?
5) Is she on any meds?
6) Any history of other medical concerns?