Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

She is having trouble keeping water down. Dolly, 1 1/2

Customer Question

She is having trouble keeping water down. Dolly, 1 1/2 neutered, female Pekingese, started vomiting on Wednesday. That stopped but she still spits up water when she drinks. It sometimes has a whitish tinge to it. Should we be worried and take her to our vet ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of. We did feed her some steak from the restaurant we brought back in a doggy bag. In hindsight, too seasoned.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Normally, a lively, energetic little doll. Now, we dont know why she spits up her water. Also, she hasn't eaten anything since late Wednesday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Based on what you have written, I am worried about Dolly, primarily because she is still spitting up and not eating. There are many possible causes for these signs as they are vague such as pancreatitis, infection (salmonella, campylobacter, etc), other organ problem (liver, kidney), intestinal obstruction (perhaps not from eating the steak), and the list continues.

The absolute best would be to have her seen by her veterinarian today as soon as you can arrange this. After a physical exam your veterinarian should recommend to do some lab testing (CBC, chesmitry profile, urine check +/- stool check) to narrow down the list of possible causes. If nothing obvious is found then radiographs (X-rays) may be needed to rule out intestinal obstruction or foreign object in the stomach.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey