Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My lab ate half the remote tonight just discovered it. Found

Customer Question

My lab ate half the remote tonight just discovered it. Found some little remnants but much gone. Did not eat batteries.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lilo and almost a year...July 5th
JA: How old is Lilo?
Customer: 11months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilo?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago do you think she ate this?

Looking at the edges of what is left, does it look like she has had sharp edged plastic?

How is she just now?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

It appears you opened another question as opposed to replying here. Since I don't want you to be charged twice, I will answer you here.

Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care.

Since plastic material tends to be quite rigid and sharp and springs do have points on them (therefore a high risk of causing gut damage and blockage), I have to say that the best option if she just ate this in the past hour or so would be to have her seen by the local ER vet urgently so that they can use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove as much of this as possible. That way we can reduce the potential for harm here.

Otherwise, if that is not an option or it has been longer than that, we can start some supportive care while monitoring her. In regards ***** ***** options, to start, since we have a sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest feeding her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.

Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she has passed the material without bother. But any of those signs and we'd need Lilo seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?