Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

My Chihuahua is 10 years old and a vet found a mitral valve

Customer Question

My Chihuahua is 10 years old and a vet found a mitral valve prolapse on a routine exam. He has an enlarged heart and some fluid on his lungs. Tonight I came home (my husband had a spinal infarct after routine neck fusion) My husband is a paraplegic now, and in critical condition) This all happened this weekend. Paco my dog has been out of his Vetmiden since last Friday (7 Days) and I called my vet but I had to keep running to the ICU. I had ordered Vetmiden on line with the approval of my vet. I can't seem to get my hands on any, between rushing back and forth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Paco is having this problem.

Dogs in congestive heart failure can have many different clinical signs. This typically starts out first as a murmur, then proceeding to coughing and respiratory distress. Many vet offices carry vetmedin, so if your vet does not, i would find one close by that does for situations like this where you are unable to get some right away. Regarding the belly, I am worried there may be fluid buildup in the belly. Right sided heart failure will often lead to fluid buildup in the belly making the abdomen hard and causing changes in breathing and comfort. The best thing to do would be to have him seen today by a vet. His belly and heart should be ultrasounded if that has not yet been done. Routine bloodwork is also recommended to make sure there are no organ abnormalities present that could make him uncomfortable or cause the hard abdomen (such as enlarged/inflamed organs). Your vet will start with a good physical exam and then work from there.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

I think the best thing for your dog is to get him seen this morning.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Hopefully Paco will be feeling better soon.