Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate the tip of a digital thermometer, Wiley. He is 2.

Customer Question

My dog ate the tip of a digital thermometer
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wiley. He is 2. I called the animal hospital and they told me I need to call poison control. It wasn't mercury and it was a small piece
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How heavy is your dog { In pounds } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is 7lbs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a small piece that he ate. He's acting normal so far

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I would not worry about this to much, as you say mercury or any other toxic material for that matter is not involved here, these thermometers contain an electronic component called a thermistor inside the tip which is used to measure the temperature. This constructed of inert materials such as silicone.

2. Given the small size of these items the chances are that it will just pass along your dog's digestive tract without problem, all you need do is to keep an eye on your dog for present and of course contact your local vet if any odd symptoms occur, but this will be very unlikely.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Wiley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the digital thermometer tip incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?