Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

I have a 12 year old shitzu, she seems to have very unstable

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 12 year old shitzu, she seems to have very unstable legs for the last year, By unstable...I would also explain as wobbly, it seems to be getting worse, she seems to eat and drink, goes to the bathroom fine, I have taken her to the vet and there were somewhat baffled and said "I'm not sure, I've never seen this before" her blood work was good for her age, but no answers unless I spent a crazy amount of money "testing" to find something.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maddy, the vet is baffled
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddy?
Customer: The vet has all her records, she seems so happy going for her walks but half an hour is now more than enough
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with extensive experience with dogs and cats. I have a few questions for you regarding Maddie, to determine if I can help you with this problem.

1. Have any radiographs (x-rays) been performed to see if arthritis is developing?

2. Have any medications been tried?

3. Did the bloodwork include a thyroid level?

I look forward to hearing back from you, thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have not had X-rays yet , thyroid is fine, we did try medicam for a a couple months but didn't seem to make a difference in whether she had medicam or not.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would like to add also, she has started to pick up her front right leg and shake it , this is a new thing she's seems to be doing this week.

The next best step is x-rays. These look at the bones of the leg and spine. If she has arthritis of the spine, that can definitely cause these symptoms. You also want to make sure, given age, there is not a cancer process present.

Depending on where you live, if your veterinarian doesn't feel comfortable treating her further, find a specialty hospital with either an orthopedic or neurology veterinarian. They have the experience and specialty to diagnose very quickly.

Please let me know if you have further questions!