Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

My large dog ate the remaining dasequin tablets in the

Customer Question

my large dog ate the remaining dasequin tablets in the bottle
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: probably ~ 40
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: and she weighs 60 lbs . aspen
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she just had ACL surgery and she is taking pain killers, antibiotics and antiimflamatory Rx's
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
aspen is 11.5 years
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Aspen's troubles. Fortunately, the most common side effect of ingesting too much Dasuquin is GI upset such as vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

If she has eaten them within the last hour, you can try inducing vomiting by giving 6-10 ml of hydrogen peroxide. You can repeat this every 10 minutes for up to three times to try to get vomiting to occur. Sometimes feeding a small meal before administration of the hydrogen peroxide can increase chances of vomiting.

If it has been longer than 1 hour since eating it, or if you can't get her to vomit, you can monitor her for the signs listed above. If she does experience some vomiting or diarrhea, you can treat with 1 1/2 tsp Pepto Bismol every 4-6 hours. Feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and give her small amounts of fresh water frequently, rather than large amounts of water all at once. You can also feed her a couple TBSP of plain yogurt with her meal to help keep her gut bacteria normal.

If the vomiting or diarrhea lasts longer than 24 hours, or she seems extremely uncomfortable, it would be time to see your vet.

In some instances, large amounts of Dasuquin can cause liver damage. This usually occurs when more than 60-75 pills are ingested. Signs of liver involvement would be continued vomiting and diarrhea, past the 24-48 hour mark and abdominal pain. It might be a good idea to have some blood work performed next time she is at the vet if she seems to be a little off.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!