Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have been told that if I use furazone on my dog's back

Customer Question

Hi :) I have been told that if I use furazone on my dog's back down to his tail mixed with Vaseline it can help re-grow his hair loss, have u ever heard of this before? And if so will it burn or be uncomfortable for him? Thanks for your time!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Chelsey,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This sort of ointment applied in this way should not harm or be uncomfortable for Jackson in any way. Fura-Zone Ointment is antibiotic based { Nitrofurazone } and so could be of value in treating surface bacterial infections of any sort. Perhaps worth a try ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Happy to hear it won't burn his skin or hurt in any way, but have u ever heard of it helping hair regrowth? And how much should I apply at a time and to what ratio to the Vaseline do u think? So nervous!!! I have never seen this before!! Had Sooo many dogs!! My doctor doesn't know why he is losing his hair and I am afraid it won't stop. If u have any other suggestions please Lmk!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still waiting for the answer to the second half of my question... Is regrowth something this product is used for?

Hello again Chelsey,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. I personally have never heard of this drug being used in this way. This is an antibiotic ointment and as such it will not be specifically licensed to promote hair growth, it is more used for skin wounds and obvious areas of infection. That said I can see the logic, it could help if the hair loss is caused by a low key chronic bacterial infection of some kind. But to be fair this would be quite rare, but if this sort of product does not do any good the chances are it will not do any harm.

2. I do not think you would do any harm by diluting it 50 : 50 with Vaseline and then applying it twice a day for two or three weeks to observe the effect.

3. " If u have any other suggestions please Lmk!!! " ? : Hair loss like this can be very difficult to pin down and it usually would be treated to some extent on a trial and error method. Where I have had no joy with such cases I have sometimes resorted to needle biopsy, this is a minor and simple procedure and you will get a written report back with the possible causes. The only good thing to say is that although such cases are unsightly to the owner they rarely affect the dog and are rarely serious long term.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Chelsey,

I am just checking back in to see how Jackson is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Fura-Zone Ointment ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.