Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog just started vomitting her food yesterday morning,

Customer Question

My dog just started vomitting her food yesterday morning, but ate her dog biscuits last night. during the night I woke to her making gurgling sounding noises. She has thrown up clear fluid today, but would not even take bread.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maxine, 10+
JA: How old is Maxine?
Customer: 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maxine?
Customer: she ate some little ceasar dog food tonight = soft, but she is still doing gurgling and won;t take bread
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How long since the last time she vomited?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not that I am aware. She weighs about 50 lbs. she vomited between 6:30_5 several times
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How much is this costing me

If you have questions about cost you will need to ask customer service. I only answer veterinary questions, I am sorry. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part os a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter