PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a pet dog but I do not have enough time to spend with

Customer Question

I have a pet dog but I do not have enough time to spend with him anymore nor the expenses to care for his needs. I am looking for a good, loving home for him to go too but I am not willing to just let him go for free? Is their somebody that will buy him right now and I can deliver him to them?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hi Meghan, thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, your situation is a very common one. The potential of rehoming a dog quickly that is a mixed breed dog and doing so responsibly (which is precisely how it should be done) almost never happens. There's usually a catch, one that typically causes some suffering on the dog's end of the deal. Add on top of that the fact that you're hoping to get an adoption fee and the chance goes down even further. There are some things that you an consider to increase your chances of getting at least 2 out of 3 points in your favor (fast placement, adoption fee and good home).

1) If he is not already neutered and vaccinated, have this done. In some areas, you can find low cost alter clinics where the alters are either very cheap or free. Dogs can often be fully vetted for under $50. Fully vetted, he's more likely to fetch an adoption fee. The downfall is that this can be time consuming and a lower fee is reasonable. Adopting out dogs is seldom a money-making venture (most of us lose plenty of money doing it, which is why it's not a popular past time).

2) Consider surrendering him to a no-kill shelter. They can take on the work of finding him a good home and getting him vetted, though you won't get a fee. And surrendering is rapid, so you needn't worry about how to care for him long term.

3) Consider working with a rescue group. Like a no-kill shelter, if you can find one they will do the work of vetting and finding a good home. Your time and financial commitment will be minimal, though you won't gain an adoption fee.

I hope this has helped. If you'd like me to see if there's a low cost alter clinic in your area, post back your city, state and zipcode and I'll get to work.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Hi Meghan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about "No Name"But Hoping For One. How is everything going?