Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

My son took s puppy a bath with dawn soap and it got in s

Customer Question

My son took his puppy a bath with dawn soap and it got in his eye. There is yellow stuff coming out of it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Zanzibar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zanzibar?
Customer: He's 3 months old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Zanzibar's eye. Soap can be very irritating. You can flush his eye out with plain tap water, or for more comfort, you can use a saline solution made for contact lenses. Any brand available at your local pharmacy would be appropriate. Bathing the eyes 2-4 times daily should remove any residual soap & soothe the irritated eyes. You can also purchase an over the counter product called Vetericyn for eyes. This will help the eyes even more.

If any significant redness should occur in the eye(s), or after 24-48 hours the discharge has not improved, or Zanzibar has any pain in his eye manifested by significant squinting or tearing, you should have him examined by your veterinarian to rule out any corneal injury.

I hope this makes sense & you fid the information helpful. Pleas let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.