Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Our 2 year old chocolate lab has lost 8 pounds since

Customer Question

Our 2 year old chocolate lab has lost 8 pounds since february, he seems fine, eats good too and is an active lab also since March he has begun pooping in the home only in the morning, somewhere between 8 and 12 when I get home. He does seem to poop 4 to 5 times a day, is that normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Trigg
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trigg?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

When dogs have bowel movements in the house this means they are not getting the sense of urgency that there is a need to defecate so there are certain steps that can be taken to reduce this frequency, more often seen in senior pets but can be seen in younger dogs such as Trigg

1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon. Even with the weight loss this would be recommended to help with the defecation but we also want to make sure it is a high quality organic diet that has no by products for maintaining weight and overall health

2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication

3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Walking 20-30 minutes before bed will help encourage that mobility and emptying of the colon and reduce risk of accidents overnight

4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)

If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue. Again especially with the weight loss he is experiencing

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour tonight if I can aid in any way

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!