Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 17 year old doxie mix is closing one of s eyes -not all

Customer Question

My 17 year old doxie mix is closing one of his eyes -not all the time though. She has some cloudiness in that eye but has done okay until recently. The vet checked her out and put her on some antibiotic ointment for a week. She said if that didn't help she would need to see a specialist. At her age I don't like subjecting her to too much stress. The ointment seemed to bring some improvement but she has been off of it for 5 days now and her eye seems to be getting worse again. I am guessing that there are side effects to continue to use this prescription -is there something else that maybe would help her without side effects.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What treatment was she specifically on?

What tests did her vet do when they checked the eye?

What side effects are you concerned about ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The vet put some drops in her eye and checked it with a black light. They also checked the eye pressure. Put her on an ointment to use twice a day that was neomycin/polymycin/bacitracin optic ointment. I am not concerned about side effects but do not know if there could be any. She does have a cloudy lens (cataracts) in that eye but does still see with it. She closes it or squints about half the time lately. She also will wipe that side of her face on the carpet or bed-it does weep some. The vet said she may have to see a specialist . Can I continue this medication as she had some improvement with it or can it make more of a problem for her. I mentioned that she is 17 years old and has a few other issues recently such a bladder infection and is on an oral antibiotic for that and the vet also started her on a dosage of another med for Cushings.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, eyes are very delicate organs. If your lass's eyes have been cloudy, we'd be concerned about corneal inflammation and infection. So, if her signs are relapsing, we don't want to leave this linger.

In regards ***** ***** concerns, those eye drops don't tend to have any sinister effects and can be used as long as we need to. So, you can ring them for another course since she did have some positive response. That is absolutely fine to try.

Otherwise, if a longer course doesn't settle this, then we may need them to try an alternative, as it may be that the bacterial agent present may be partially resistant to this ointment. Or I would also note even before referring her, we would want to make sure her vet tested that her tear flow is normal (as dry eye can cause the signs you are reporting and tends to just be treated with immune modulating eye drops) +/- consider swabbing the eye for bacterial culture (to tell us what is there and what drugs it is vulnerable to). That way we are ruling out all our common triggers for these signs before we have to consider referral for your wee one.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B