Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Left my dog outside hours in 85 degree weather. Dog had

Customer Question

Left my dog outside for 3 hours in 85 degree weather. Dog had access to water but no shade for 2 hours. Found dog eyes wide open, tongue hanging out that was grey and shallow breathing. Died 5 min after I found her. No signs of vomit or diarrhea. Was it heat stroke?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pug dog, 10 years old
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My other pug who was 11 was also with her and she was fine. She is also my overweight pug and the one who died was very small.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this loss. Honestly, heat stroke would have to be a very high suspicion here. A pug is already a breed of dog that doesn't breath well due to their brachycephalic situation. They can get overheated much more easily than other breeds if they have more extensive elongated soft palates or narrowed nostrils. Could the one that passed have had more compromise to the airways? Could that one have gotten more worked up while the other was more calm? If there wasn't obvious signs of trauma in the immediate area and no chance of a toxicity, then again the heat stroke seems most likely. If she had been normal earlier today as far as breathing, eating, urinating, etc... then it again seems to point towards the heat stroke situation. Could she have had a seizure and that set things up? This isn't too likely, but it could be possible. With her being the overweight one, that points in the heat stroke direction as they typically become more overheated quicker.