Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My beagle had a tick on her lip i tried to get it off, but i

Customer Question

my beagle had a tick on her lip i tried to get it off, but i couldn't see it very well and it was late so i thought i would take care of it in the morning. when i looked the next morning it was gone. now she has a bump on the lip where the tick was and i can tell it bothers her. what should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

For the bump, you can cleanse it 2-3 times daily with a washcloth and warm water. You can apply a thin layer of Vaseline if it appears irritated- but she will most likely lick off anything you apply to the area since it is on her lip. The bump should become less irritated over the next few days, and go away completely within a week or two. Keep an eye on it- if it is looking worse in any way (getting bigger, more inflamed, producing discharge)- have it examined by her vet.

Ticks can carry several diseases that may not show up for several weeks or months after the bite. Watch for any signs of lethargy, painful joints, poor appetite. You can ask your veterinarian about testing for these diseases- usually have to wait 6-8 weeks after a tick bite for them to come back positive.

Make sure she is on a good tick preventative. Even with the best ones- nothing is always 100% effective, so after she has been out in the brush, or woods, check her over.

Has this helped?

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!