Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is 12 years old and he has been howling he has

Customer Question

My dog is 12 years old and he has been howling he has artritis and is on tramadol could it be pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bones
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bones?
Customer: He has a what tjey say to be a small tumor on his butt but they checked him yesterday and iys not bothering anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Vocalizing can certainly indicate pain but I also have to consider that it may be a symptom of cognitive dysfunction particularly if Bones is howling at night. Other symptoms of cognitive dysfunction (senility) include a change in mentation (mental status), aimless wandering, staring, disorientation, changes in social and interactive behavior - becoming "needier" or, conversely, more aloof - changes in locomotor and sleep cycle behaviors, and loss of housetraining. Have you noticed any of these behaviors?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not really he howls at different times of the day he has peed in the house twice. Which is unusual for him to do so

He's having more trouble moving around and may be finding it easier just to pee where he is than go outside. We have to distinguish that behavior from losing his potty training due to senility. Another consideration is that his howling indicates anxiety. Painful dogs can become anxious but not all anxious dogs are painful. Are there any changes in his life - feeding schedule, your schedule, new people or pets at home, remodeling, new furnishings, etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No nothing new at all which is what is odd

Thank you. If he were given a full physical exam yesterday and no focus of pain was found you have a couple of alternatives. You can have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed to see if an internal disorder is causing him pain or you can increase the dose of tramadol and see if it makes a difference with his arthritis pain. The new dosing guideline for tramadol is 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours. Many dogs have been underdosed with that narcotic. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok great thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.