Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog developed sards about 3 months ago. He was fine up

Customer Question

My dog developed sards about 3 months ago. He was fine up until two weeks ago when he stopped eating. He was drinking a lot of water but that has subsided also. We cannot get him to eat. I don't think he is adjusting well to blindness.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

HI. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Morty. SARDS is a very frustrating situation in that the blindness that results from it has little to be done for it. Some dogs do better than others as far as adjusting to their new "non" visual situation. The best that can be done for a blind dog is to have them in as comfortable of an environment as possible so they can progressively build up their confidence with getting around and interacting with things. I'll be honest and say that the not eating has me concerned though. Even non-visual dogs should have a pretty good appetite when they get enough hunger drive. Could there be something else going on to cause the appetite to not be there? Could there be some metabolic issue? Some dental issue? What would be the best is to have him rechecked by your vet and to have some blood work screened to look for anything that can be directly treated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
phone(###) ###-#### He has always had a great appetite and could smell the food being prepared. Then he just lost his appetite. We will take him to our vet for further testing.

If he wasn't visual and had a good appetite and then it suddenly went away, then something else has happened that in all honestly needs to be more directly addressed. The physical exam and the blood work are going to be very key here to try and pinpoint this.

Hi Sylvia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Morty. How is everything going?