Dr. Stephanie
Dr. Stephanie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at San Marcos Veterinary Clinic
94451881

Doctor. I am scared and upset. I thought i had been given my

Customer Question

Hi. Doctor. I am scared and upset. I thought i had been given my dogs heartworm lately but it was Comfortis. I thought it did both. I also had given them hearart worm a few times in between. Anyway, when I found out from my vet, (I was picking up heart worm at the time, she told me about comfortis not being heart worm. not thinking when I got home, I gave them a heart worm pill. I just read how they can get sick and die if they did have heart worm. I'm praying not, but when would they start to show signs of sickness. Thanks for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stephanie replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** am happy to try and answer your questions. Please bear with me for a few moments while I am typing up a response

Do you mind me asking what part of the country you live in?

How long have you been using the comfortis instead of the heartworm prevention?

In general, once a dog has been bitten by an infected mosquito, it takes 5-7 months for the infection to develop into the adult worms that we an detect with testing. Signs and symptoms of heartworm disease can include coughing, lethargy, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance or difficulty breathing. These symptoms would generally not be observed until at least 6 months after infection. I would recommend that if you pet has not been on heartworm prevention, and it has been at least 6 months from the last dose, to go ahead and have a heartworm test performed. It sounds like you have started back on monthly prevention, so I would also recommend having an additional heartworm test performed in 6 months.

Depending on what part of the country you live in, the risks of contracting heartworm diease are different.

Please let me know if I have been able to answer your questions satisfactorily. If not, please reach out to me with additional questions or for clarification.

If you feel I have been helpful, please remember to rate my response. If you feel I have given anything less than a 5 star answer, please reach out to me for clarification or additional information prior to rating.

I need to sign off for the time being, but please respond here with any additional questions.

Regards,

Dr. Stephanie

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was trying to find out since giving them the heart worm med w/o testing first, if they did have heart worm when would they show signs of the reaction to the meds? I live in Gulf Breeze, Fl. It has been 2 days on the heart worm, they have been good,eating, running around etc.