Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

Duke is a golden retriever and still has one undescended

Customer Question

Duke is a golden retriever and still has one undescended testicle, and he’s about 7 months old.
I think I still would like to wait until he is one year old to neuter him just so he gets all the testosterone needed for his growth.
Would that be too late and start causing problems in the retained testicle?
Thanks a lot!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Duke still has one undescended testicle. This is unfortunately a genetic problem. It is unlikely it will drop at this age. The biggest concern with an undescended testicle is the potential for tumor development. Over time, these often become cancerous and can be dangerous. It is easiest to remove them while they are younger as they are a little bit easier to find. There is not much benefit for you waiting to neuter at age 1 vs his current age. There would not be much risk either if you waited until age 1. I would not wait any longer than that.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks for the reply.There are a lot of researches out there proving that early neutering affects development, both growth, cancer later in life, etc. So even though he has a retained testicle I will still wait until he is 12-14 months to neuter.