Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

My 14 pound bichon ate some trident gum about 2 peices, Cha

Customer Question

My 14 pound bichon ate some trident gum about 2 peices
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cha cha 9,yrs
JA: How old is Cha?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cha?
Customer: No a little bit or arthtitis
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 5 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you are dealing with this with Cha Cha. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have a few more questions for you.
How long ago did she eat it?
what type and flavor is it?
any current illness or meds?

how is she acting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
20 minutes ago, just resting, no meds, spearmint

what type of trident? is it original, stride, etc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No call, regular trident spearmint
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there

so this gum has xylitol in it and can be life-threatening toxic, especially to your size of dog. This can cause liver failure, seizures, coma, death. I highly recommend you take her to the vet ASAP. how close are you to the nearest vet?

I also suggest trying to make her vomit to reduce how much is absorbed. do you have any hydrogen peroxide?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how much
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I soaked a little price of bread and nothing so far

I would give 15mL (1/2 oz) by mouth, and then jog her up and down a hallway until she vomits. usually should take about 5 min to vomit

were you able to make her vomit?

I haven't heard back from you so just wanted to give you the information in case you have stepped away:
So the biggest concern is going to be how much xylitol is actually in this gum. I have found a few suggestions on the internet, but nothing in concrete. I was unable to get in touch with the manufacturer as they are not open yet. From what I have found online Cha Cha is borderline toxic dosing. We typically see toxicity around 0.1g/kg of xylitol ingestion, and she is at 0.085g/kg (assuming that what I found from less credible places is correct). I suggest that even if you get her to vomit that you get her to the vet asap. They would be able to contact poison control or maybe the company depending on what time she gets there. They can also get treatment on board to decrease the chance of toxic effects (activated charcoal to bind it and keep from absorbing, iv fluid therapy, med, etc). I would definitely recommend getting her to the vet as soon as possible.

Since i haven't heard from you, I assume that you are on your way to the vet. I wish you two the best of luck and will be thinking of you. Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Just checking in since I didn't hear back from you, how is cha cha doing today?