Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a Pomeranian mixed with a another dog but

Customer Question

Hi pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My dog is a Pomeranian mixed with a another dog but yesterday he seemed to be limping and yelped a bit out of no where. In the middle of the night last night i woke up to him screaming in pain ... He didnt give and signs to what it was so i jist helpld him all night and this morning he seemed very tired like he didnt get much sleep and still very stiff ... I went to take him outside and hes usually the first one out the door, i had to carry him and when i put him down on the steps he just sat there and then i picked him up to put him in the grass and he has a very slight yelp and then just sat in the grass until the other dogs were done and then i caries him inside because He couldnt get up the steps ... He is a very energetic and exciting dog and is about 9 years old so this is very odd for him, any thoughts?
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Miller
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miller?
Customer: His stomach seems to be a bit hard like bloating of constipated... Should we try a laxative
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was he able to walk?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** for getting back to me...i think he can walk . He hasn't really since last night though
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also . He weighs about 10 - 15 lbs is it ok to give him one 200mg pain reliever?

Hi Richard, please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No problem, thank you!

Richard, what you are describing is consistent with a possible pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. Dogs that are constipated will not loose the ability or willingness to walk, I don't believe this is related to constipation. In this case, we are very limited as to what you can do at home unfortunately. It is important that he is seen by a veterinarian this morning, the sooner he is started on prescription medication the better the prognosis. If he goes untreated it can lead to paralysis. Do Not give over the counter pain killer, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We since my last message he is up and moving and walking just a bit slow but nothing too crazy, however when he bends down to eat he seems to have some pain ... When hes standing and bends down he seems fine but when hes sitting and bends down he seems to have pain

That is very good Richard that he is walking. If he is showing signs of pain when bending or sitting this is consistent with neuromuscular pain like a pulled muscle or a pinched nerve like we discussed before.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alrighty thank you so much for your help !

You're welcome. :)