Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 13 year old Staffin has had a few seizures they 't last.

Customer Question

My 13 year old Staffin has had a few seizures they don't last long. What could be the cause or solution?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sasha
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Sasha had seizures?

How often? More than one every 6 months?

Any known health issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's had 3 in the last few months they don't last long about 90 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other health issues
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

In regards ***** ***** question, we can see seizures in elderly dogs for a range of reasons. Short term causes can include toxin exposure, overheating (heat stroke), and head trauma. Though considering her age and the time frame for her signs, we’d need to focus on brain based and systemic issues. Therefore, we’d have to be wary of brain bleeds, inflammation, infection, or masses. As well, we can see seizures triggered by diseases relating to the middle ear (ie infection, inflammation) and quite often secondary to organ dysfunction (ie heart disease, liver or kidney failure). As well, we can also see this related to epilepsy, but this tends to start in younger dogs.

With all this in mind and since her fits sound to be closer then we'd like (since we tend to treat medically if we see more than one every 6 months), it would be ideal to have a check up with her vet at this point. If she is due a booster, consider moving that appointment up. That way we her vet can fully examine her, perform a neurological examination +/- check a blood sample to rule out organ issues. Based on that, they can narrow down the causes for her signs and either trial treatment or potentially refer her for an MRI if you wish to look into her brain and definitively diagnose what is present.

Overall, these would be our concerns for Sasha's signs. The fits do sound mild but seeing that many in a short space of time does raise worries of the above and tells us that we do need to treat here. Therefore, this isn't something we want to leave to linger. So, it is best to be checked at this point so we can ensure we nip this in the bud, avoid it worsening, and reduce these seizures for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet