Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Sometimes when my Pomeranian is sleeping he pants a lot.

Customer Question

sometimes when my Pomeranian is sleeping he pants a lot. Some times about 6 - 7 times a day he coughs and gages he has been doing this for some time, chest xray i have been told is good also a good heart, no fluid in lungs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he is not lethargic. Duke is his name.
JA: How old is Duke?
Customer: 7 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: He has been treated for gallstones with ursadiol
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Unless proven otherwise, such a Pom should be considered to suffer from a collapsing trachea (windpipe). This isn't always readily evident in X-rays often requiring multiple lateral views with my patient's neck in a normal, ventroflexed, and hyperextended position in both inspiration and expiration - one of which views should reveal the collapse. In some cases collapse can't be demonstrated but a careful examination of the interior of the trachea will reveal redundant folds of mucous membrane or bronchoscopy is necessary to characterize the location and severity of collapse. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?