Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

He just lies down. won't eat, has tried to drink.but throws

Customer Question

He just lies down. won't eat, has tried to drink.but throws up. had a loose stool yestyerday but nothing since. I THINK he ate a part of a sock and it won't pass. What can I give him to make him Poop it out?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sterling 3.5 Siberian Husky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sterling?
Customer: He is always healthy energetic. When I can home from work he was on the floor. Wouldn't move, but I did get him up to walk alittle today. Yesterday he threw up 3x and Loose stool pooped 21x. No food for 24-30 hours only alittle water
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you are experiencing this with Sterling.
I am very concerned with what you are describing. If he has eaten something abnormal, such as a sock that you are concerned about, there is nothing that you can give to make him pass it. Unfortunately, from what you are describing it sounds like he is obstructed, and the only way to get that out is surgical intervention. If he hasn't eaten for 1-2 days and is vomiting up the water he is drinking, he could get dehydrated very quickly, which could compromise his ability to get through this. The longer a foreign object sits in there the worse prognosis can be. If there is an object stuck and the body tries to pass it, it could cause the intestines to rip and leak those contents into the abdomen. It is imperative that you get him to the vet asap to be evaluated, and get some xrays done to confirm. My first concern with a dog that won't eat and vomits even water up, is a foreign obstruction. I HIGHLY recommend you get him seen asap.

even if it is not obstructed, he could have other things going on (gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, etc) and can get dehydrated very easily. It sounds like he is getting to that point by the way you described he wouldn't get up, hard to walk around, etc.

have i satisfied your questions today? is there anything else that you would like me to answer?

if there aren't any additional questions, then I wish you two the best of luck! Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.