Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is hacking like she has something caught in her

Customer Question

My dog is hacking like she has something caught in her throat. She has been doing this for two days
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: She is coughing like she has something caught in her throat or lungs.
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tazzy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tizzy?
Customer: She eats fresh grass and combs the yard for anytype of fresh vegetation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She is a rescue and eats fruit, vegetables.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Tazzy is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Having carefully read your question through I would not be at all surprised if she has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound very like kennel cough.

However as kennel cough would be a front runner I will tell you a little of what I know about it ...

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this she will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason my advice would be to have your vet check Tazzy over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to make him more comfortable on a home remedy basis.

5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.

Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tazzy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tazzy is better, no coughing. Gave her cough meds as suggested. Thank you

Hello again,

Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering how things were going.

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Tazzy has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott